Are you making your home too welcoming to squirrels?
Squirrels may look really cute, but they can be a nightmare if thy invade your home. Most people love watching their little antics when they raid the bird table, but it’s not that much of a reach for these creatures to go from that to building a nest in the attic space of your home. Once this happens, your home is open to considerable damage from gnawing.
This is why it’s so important to get help from an exterminator, if you suspect that you have squirrels living in your property. They may seem like a more tolerable house guest than cockroaches or rats but they are no less of a problem. For this reason, it’s also important that you make sure your home is not too welcoming to squirrels. If you find that you’re dealing with a squirrel problem, you may want to visit somewhere like AMS Pest Control Coventry or a pest control service more local to you that may be able to help you with your issue.
Are squirrels really that much of an issue?
There are likely to be some people who are reading this and thinking that surely these clever little furballs cannot really be that much of a problem. In fact, the structure of your home can be under serious threat from squirrels. They like to build nests in safe and warm spaces, so they chew through areas under the eaves and in the siding of homes.
Once they are established in your property, they can cause chaos. To put it plainly, you might require the services of Economy Exterminators to address this and other pest problems in your home if you want to avoid said chaos. Much like other rodents, they can chew through wood and wiring and dig up lawn and borders in your yard. So yes, squirrels really are that much of an issue.
The habits of squirrels
There five types of squirrel that are native to North America. They are all different to each other, but share similar traits and habits. Some of the habits that you may see squirrels displaying include:
Digging up bulbs and plants.
- Eating any fruits and berries they can find.
- Stealing food from bird feeders.
- Finding a place to nest inside outhouses, and possibly inside a main property.
- Once you know about these habits, you can take action to make your home less of an attractive proposition.
How to make your home less welcoming to squirrels
If your home has a good supply of a squirrel’s favorite food lying around, it’s going to be attractive to them and you might end up having to call on the services of someone like Baltimore wildlife control for help with removing them from your home. To avoid this, remove these food sources in particular.
- Sweep up fruit and berries that have dropped from trees and bushes.
- Make sure there are no food scraps, or pet food remains, lying around.
- Make sure that trash cans are securely covered.
- In addition to removing food sources that may attract squirrels, you need to make it less easy for them to gain access to your property.
- Repair holes and gaps in the exterior walls of your home.
- Cut down overhanging tree branches.
- Use gutter and chimney guards to keep squirrels away from these areas.
If you still find that you have a problem with squirrels on your property, it’s a good idea to get professional pest control help. The professionals know the most humane and efficient methods to clear your home of these cute but destructive pests.