Windows are a vital part of your home. They ensure the supply of natural light and circulate fresh air into your home. Without windows, your home would feel lifeless and gloomy. It is probably why the window coverings manufacturing market is worth $670 million in Australia alone.
Are you looking for plantation shutters for your home? Among window covers, plantation shutters are quite popular despite the technical expertise required to install them. They can be made of wood, vinyl, and more, making them sturdy and long-lasting.
Here are the different types of plantation shutters that you can choose from.
Highly economical, containing no wood and aluminum or PVC supports, these blinds are weather resistant. They are great for wet places as they are water-resistant, and the low cost makes them easily replaceable. You can find varieties of plantation shutters, like hollow, solid with aluminum insert, and more. Let’s have a look at them.
- Hollow Shutters: They are hollow and ideal for small windows as they can easily support lightweight frames. Being lightweight also makes it inexpensive. Therefore, you can install multiple shutters across all windows. One disadvantage of a hollow structure is that it can sag over time.
- Structured Hollow Shutters: A step above the hollow ones, a skeletal support system gives them more stability than the hollow shutters.
- Solid Vinyl: As the name suggests, they do not have a hollow core. The entire frame is filled with PVC to give it the highest level of strength that vinyl can offer.
- Solid With Aluminum Insert: A class above the solid vinyl, the aluminum insert ensures no sagging, while the PVC keeps the elements away.
- Vinyl-Clad Wood: These are solid wood shutters clad in vinyl to protect them from moisture. The wood gives it strength and stability, and the vinyl coating protects the wood.
Faux Wood Shutters
A great alternative to wood, faux or fake wood shutters gives you durability while being weather resistant. The wood is engineered to provide the shutter with the solidity of hardwood and the feathery weight of PVC. Perfect for rooms with high moisture, such as bathrooms and the kitchen. These shutters also work flawlessly in coastal regions where the sun and salt water can do a lot of damage.
Hard Wood Shutters
Plantation shutters are the ultimate window shutters. They were the original shutters used by the magnificent houses on plantations. Hence, the name plantation shutters! Made out of basswood or poplar, they give a naturally rich beauty while offering the highest levels of weight to strength ratio. They have many advantages: they are blemish-free, long-lasting, splinter, and warping-resistant.
Hardwood shutters also look good as they are made from furniture-grade wood, which is highly durable. The lumber is graded for knots, grain slope, and cracks before leaving the factory.
Plantation shutters started as hardwood window coverings but are now a décor statement. You have a range of choices regarding colours, materials, and costs. You can pick the one that suits your needs and give your home a warm and welcoming feel by allowing natural light and air into your home.