Planning the arrangement of the furniture is essential before you move to a new house. The process becomes even more challenging when you move some pieces of furniture from an existing home into a new place. However, by preparing your layout and bringing it to life, you can make the process much smoother when the day of the relocation comes.
To ensure a fast and smooth transition, follow these key tips for arranging furniture when moving to a new house.
1. Prepare your layout and assess the space
When planning your layout, it’s essential to consider where your furniture pieces will have to go before you begin the lifting. Doing so can definitely help you save time, energy, and effort. Below are the things you need to consider when planning a layout:
- Think about function – Determine the primary purpose of the room, including the number of people who will use the area. By considering functionality, you’ll know what furniture should be prioritized or not.
- Focus on the room structure – Try to figure out the focal point of your room. This can be a large window, a TV, or a fireplace. To ease the design process, make sure you arrange pieces of furniture using these features to enhance the room structure.
- Consider large furniture pieces – The layout planning won’t be complete without prioritizing large pieces. Take a look at your room and see whether the large pieces of furniture such as beds and sofas should fit into the area. Plan the larger ones before you can work with the smaller pieces around you.
- Clear the space – The arrangement of the furniture will be much easier if you have an empty space before you move in. Thus, it’s a good idea to remove boxes and other objects before you start moving your furniture pieces. That way, you’ll have a better view of the space you’ll be working with.
- Remember traffic flow – If your rooms have two doors, be sure to keep traffic moving. Clear paths from any obstacles, so foot traffic will flow smoothly. Allow sufficient distance for both major and minor traffic routes.
2. Follow great design layout ideas
The success of your furniture arrangement depends on how you can make the most out of some design layout ideas. To make the design process a seamless experience, below are the things to keep in mind from the very beginning:
- Check the height of the furniture. For example, a shorter piece of furniture needs a larger artwork on the wall above it to make space feel and look taller.
- Add texture to some of your furniture pieces. Objects like pillows, throws, and rugs can be great ways for adding texture and creating a cozy feel.
- Mix large furniture pieces with smaller items to come up with a balanced room layout.
- Be sure to arrange furniture items before you install or hang photographs and mirrors.
- Arrange furniture pieces in a way that you’ll leave adequate space for drawers and doors to be opened.
- Move heavy pieces first before you proceed with the smaller ones such as plant stands, end tables, and chairs. If you need help with the heavy lifting of items, contact moving companies for possible professional assistance.
3. Use free online tools
You need to have precise measurements of your room’s dimensions so that you can plan the layout correctly. Measure the actual space and do the layout at your own leisure. If you don’t have any background in design, you can utilize free online tools, including furniture arranging sites with free templates. These tools, for instance, can help you arrange furniture items within your new home. Here, you can try the positioning of your pieces together with the lighting fixtures and other accessories.
The Bottom Line
Ultimately, one of the best things about relocation is the opportunity to start fresh in your new home. And with the help of these furniture arrangement tips, you can come up with a unique place that works best for you. Also, if you’re moving across the country, you may need the assistance of experienced long distance movers to move pieces of furniture safely and quickly.