Are you experiencing severe pain in your joints? Then, you may have arthritis, a rheumatic condition involving pain, stiffness, aching, and swelling around your joints. This disease affects a lot of people around the world, from children to the elderly. The good thing is, there are products in the market to manage arthritis effectively, such as the CBD arthritis cream.
Arthritis is prevalent in the United States. Based on data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, around 54.4 million Americans had arthritis in 2015. By 2040, this figure is projected to balloon to about 78 million individuals. There were a higher number of women who have doctor-diagnosed arthritis than men in 2015.
Possible Causes of Arthritis
There are many types of arthritis, like rheumatoid arthritis (RA), osteoarthritis (OA), and fibromyalgia. According to experts, there are various possible causes of the condition. Among them are:
- Hereditary – If your parents or relatives have arthritis, you are at higher risk to experience the disease
- Poor metabolism – The irregular metabolism of food in your body can lead to gout and other similar conditions
- Physical injuries – Serious wounds and injuries may result in degenerative arthritis
- Abnormal immune system – A malfunctioning immune system can lead to RA and systemic lupus erythematosus.
- Infections – Microbial agents and bacteria like Borrelia burgdorferi can cause arthritis of Lyme disease
- Physically demanding occupations – Certain jobs involving repetitive squatting and knee bending can cause knee OA.
- Obesity – Overweight individuals are at higher risk of developing knee OA.
How to Effectively Manage or Treat Arthritis
There are several medications and self-management strategies you can use to manage your pain. These approaches can help control or eliminate your pain, minimize damage to your joints, and enhance your quality of life.
- Maintain an ideal weight. Consuming a balanced diet can help you achieve a healthy weight.
- Avoid eating inflammatory foods like dairy products, corn oil, and processed foods.
- Do regular exercises and physical activities like cycling, walking, and swimming. It is best to consult with your physician when performing rigorous tasks. You should also balance your physical activity with sufficient rest.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle. It would help if you avoid smoking and consuming alcoholic beverages.
- Get enough sleep to avoid fatigue and aggravating your pain. To improve your sleep, avoid caffeinated drinks and punishing exercises before going to bed. You should also limit your screen-time in the evenings.
- Undergo physical therapies to minimize your pain and improve your mobility. Some forms of treatment include warm water therapy and occupational therapy.
- Eat healthy and anti-inflammatory foods like fish, fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds, whole grains, and olive oil.
- Use pain-reducing medications like analgesics, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs, corticosteroids, and CBD arthritis cream.
- Visit your doctor regularly to check your condition and recommend the appropriate treatments.
- Attend patient education activities and join support groups to have a better knowledge of the disease and how to manage it effectively.
Suffering from a painful and debilitating illness like arthritis affects your personal life and career. It can also strain your relationships with families and friends. By being proactive and taking the right medications to manage your pain, you can regain a good quality of life and excellent job performance.